Scripps Pier in La Jolla California
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  » When can you help your children enter the United States?

When can you help your children enter the United States?

On Behalf of | Nov 21, 2022 | Immigration Law |

Becoming a parent may have been what inspired you to travel to the United States. You wanted to be able to offer your children something better in life than what you had as a child or young adult, and so you took a job opportunity in the United States with a work visa.

Now that you have settled in the United States and feel stable in your new job, you may want to bring your children to live with you. Immigration opportunities may exist for your children depending on your current immigration status.

When you have a visa

For those traveling to the United States or living here due to a non-immigrant employment visa, your children can secure visas as well. Typically, they need to be under the age of 21 and unmarried to apply for a visa to travel with you or to come join you in the United States. If they do not take other steps to secure their rights to stay in the country, they may have to leave with you at the end of your employment arrangements.

When you have a green card

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you have different options for helping your loved ones enter the country. You can help them quickly secure a permanent resident card as well.

Your children can qualify for family preference visas, provided that they are still unmarried. Permanent residents can help their unmarried children under the age of 21 qualify for green cards. Unmarried children over the age of 21 can also sometimes qualify through a lower preference category.

When you are a naturalized citizen

After you become a United States citizen, you have more options for the purpose of helping family members travel to and live in the United States. Even your married children could potentially eventually secure a visa when you are a citizen.

Of course, your children have to meet the medical standards for immigration, which may require immunization. They also need to pass a background check to enter the country even if a parent already lives here. Learning more about family-based immigration can help you give your children a chance at a better future based on your immigration status.